Monday, August 04, 2003

Finally, a Niche Magazine for Me

According to Slate, a new publication called Tall magazine hit the stands two weeks ago. For the past few years, I have billed myself as the tallest freelance writer in Toronto (6-foot-5). Now, finally, I can read about tall culture, as envisioned and executed by editor Everard Strong, who stands a mighty 6-foot-9. There’s a column about dealing with back pain by Dr. Stein (a 7-foot-2 chiropractor) along with fashion tips, tall teen talk (?!?) and an interview with Conan O’Brien, who is the same height as me. (FYI: Women have to be over 5-foot-9 to be considered eligible to read Tall).

As soon as I can get my hands on a print copy (or bother to download their 20 meg PDF sample issue) I’ll provide further commentary and analysis. In the meantime, I defer to the unfortunately-named Slate writer Brad Wieners:

Strong wants Tall to frame an inspirational "culture of height." Which raises an obvious question: To what extent does being "tall" define a tall person? Do tall people have outstanding body-image issues? Is all tallness alike—or is there a height barrier at which "tall" passes from being descriptive adjective to an essentialist identity?